Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Pursuit of Happyness

Call me slow....but I just watched the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness". I am a Will Smith fan so I'm not sure why I didn't watch it earlier. But, in preparation to hear Chris Garnder speak, I decided to be a bit prepared and started by watching this movie. 

There are many great lessons in Mr. Gardner's story.  I believe this is one movie that you could watch many times over and find something new each time.  For me, the key was "happyness" and it is something we do pursue.  As Chris tells us in the movie, our founding fathers felt happiness was so important, they included it in the Declaration of Independence. But, they also realized happiness is something we pursue. It is not just handed to us.  It is not a "given".

We have the right to "life" and the right to "liberty....but happiness...we can only pursue it. And, each one of us makes that pursuit on our own.

Is it a pursuit or a journey?  I would like to think of it as a journey. At sometime, some point in our lives most of us will find "happyness".

For some, happiness could be in the journey itself. I believe there are people who find lots of happiness along the way. They are the ones who stop and smell the roses for the moment or enjoy a sunset at the end of day.

For others, we have a destiny. It may not be a place but maybe a feeling. I have heard people talk about traveling to an exotic land. Is it the land that is special or the feeling they will get when they are there? Are they seeking a place or the wonderment it will bring?

Using a vision board can help one discover their happiness and what they should pursue. Look though magazines and tear out the pictures that make you "happy". What images give you that warm, fuzzy feeling?  Put those images on your vision board, look at it every day and let it guide you in your pursuit of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment